Friday, April 9, 2010

For Co-ordships...

10 days back, there was this "Placement coordinator" thingy going on. There was a questionnaire that interested junta were supposed to answer. It had three questions, each asking "how would you do this....". I thought that directly implies I should sit down for a while or probably go for a cup of coffee, think over the questions, answer them and upload my answers. Then junta started talking about fundaes from seniors and all. Do you really need to ask someone what you would do given a situation. A convincing reply- 'well, you should know what was done previously before you can decide'. And that's how it happens, or atleast they say so. I have this strong feeling that while "taking fundaes", what actually happens is

Senior: Yeah, tell da
Aspiring coord: I need fundaes on ____
Senior: Why are you putting so much enthu in this?
AC: I want to do 'something'. And it'll also help in my resume.. so, if you can help in getting this...
Senior: Okay dude... fine. Just write some proper answers in the application and I'll ask the related guy to take you.
AC: Thanks


The above process is repeated n number of times and the questionnaire is answered. The guy who selects the coords knows some guys very well, and most probably they are selected, unless there is extreme pressure from another stud applicant.......
Now this is where this small fight starts within myself-
"Dude, why didn't you take fundaes? You could have asked some senior"
"Why should I? The question was about what I would do, not what my senior would do"
"So? If you are really interested in something, your should worry about getting it done and put these things aside"
"Oh! Really? Then how would I be different from some other guy who took fundaes from another senior?"
"Cut the crap. You wanted to do something and now you're screwed up"
"No way. I did what I must have done. They asked me something, I answered them. Why should I worry if he didn't pick me despite my answers? I didn't take fundaes because I thought I deserved it. If I knew I don't deserve this, I won't apply at all"
"Whatever... All this is taking you nowhere"
"See, if I were to do it like everyone else, I'd probably not be who I am. I really don't care if some ass doesn't select my application, I was honest and "I" answered the questions... That's enough"
"Yeah dude.. the guy who picked 'em is a jerk.. He doesn't take honest people"

And I'm convinced completely that it was those guys who didn't get a guy who's really enthued to work. Then I go to these guys who are supposedly my friends and tell them I wasn't shortlisted for the group discussions. A little surprised. I tell them I didn't take any fundaes. And they say I'm crazy and I was supposed to do whatever I should to get what I want. So this question always stays. But I've decided, I do whatever I feel like doing and I'm really not going to bother about the consequences. One example- my choice after JEE. I chose aerospace. 99% of the guys who got my rank would have taken elec or compsci... Now, I feel too happy for making that choice.
I want the readers to think about this- If you don't make those decisions that matter the most in your life and somebody else makes them for you, what's the whole point of your life? If you are the greatest man(or woman), that guy who made that decision for you is responsible for you, same is the case if you're life is completely screwed up. If you cannot say what you really feel when you are being tested and you have to speak the words of someone else, what sense does it make if you get through it or you lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment