Sunday, April 13, 2014

Suppose God does not exist- Part 2

Please read part 1 of the article before you read this one.

In part 1, I talk about a world without God or Morals. A world where a lot of people are irrational. This world is influenced by a few smart people who realize that people must work in teams, and these teams must have some rules. To give weight to the rules, we say they are given by an all-knowing, all-powerful, invisible man in the sky.
Now, suppose this world IS OUR WORLD.

...
...
...
...
Think about what that means. The implications. There is no God. There are no morals. There are just a few rational people surrounded by a sea of irrational people.

......
......
.....
......
......
......

 





.....
.....
Do you feel like you have lost something? What do you lose when you assume that there is no God and there are no morals?


You lose everything you have learnt from religions and morals. Or do you? When you understand morals as rules that we need so that our society can work properly, and religion as a way to make people strongly believe in these morals, what else do you lose?

You lose answers to the big questions, such as
1) Who am I?
2) What is the reason for my existence?
3) What is right, and what is wrong?
4) How does the universe work? How and when did it start, and when will it end?
5) What happens to me after I die?
6? What is the most important thing in my life?

The answers to these big questions are lost when you discard religion. But is that really a bad thing?

If you do not have these answers, you can set out to find our own answers- try to comprehend your own existence, understand your purpose in life. Isn't that more exciting than listening to some stories?

I have asked these questions, and I have arrived at answers to some of them. The answers I have are not complete, and they are not the same as the ones I had 5 years ago. The interesting thing that I have figured out is, I had to define some of those answers.

If you can figure out some of those answers, ask yourself if what you are doing is in line with that answer. If the answer to "Who am I?" is, " I'm a super-hero who can fly", then what are you doing sitting in front of a computer for most of the day (or whatever else you may be doing)? Shouldn't you be trying to fly? (Please don't jump off a building and hope to fly, the super-hero thing was just an example)

What is holding you back from doing what you want to?




Or, you can always be happy with the answers given by your religion or your community. But what fun is it to be content with answers given millennia ago by someone you never knew?


No comments:

Post a Comment